Saturday 8 June 2019

Ms Wong's garden - Chinese Lantern flowers


Abutilon Striatum (Red Vein Indian Mallow)

I have known Ms Wong since 1982. 
When she retired, she chose gardening as her main hobby. 
She kept herself fit by exercising with friends in table tennis and gardening.  
Her love for flowers is amazing. Anyone who has been to her flower garden, agrees. She also planted some fruit trees, but her passion is more to flowers and she would rather spend most of her time, tending to her flowers.
When I visited her on the 6.6.2019, she showed me a rare flower, blooming. I was captivated by it. She only knows it's a Chinese lantern flower. With her permission, I was able to take a photo of the flower so I could share it with everyone.
Later I went home to "Google " more details about this fascinating flower.
 

 
Abutilon Striatum is also known as Red Vein flowering maple.
 Some call it "Chinese Lantern flower". 
It has an orangy red coloured, bell shaped flower and the petals look like red veins. 
My first impression, when I saw it,  was like a Cinderella puffy dress😂😂

  
Cinderella Puffy dress😂

According to google, Abutilon Striatum is native to South America. 
 An evergreen shrub and the flowers  bloom for months.
 It is a desirable plant ideal as wall shrub, and looks very pretty when planted in containers.
It is easy to care and grows well in full or partial sunlight on a well drained rich moist soil.
The plant can grow up to15 feet and about 4 feet wide but with regular pruning to maintain the ideal height of 4-5 feet. To make the plant bushier, pinch off the branch tips.

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment