Thursday 18 April 2019

Long beans story

Long beans have been my favourite and they are easy to grow. They never disappoint me. My children, grandson, sister, niece, and friends love to pluck them fresh from the garden  It's delicious even those bought from the market. So, what more if they are freshly plucked from the garden? Yeah, It's so tender and delicious beyond words. 

Long beans are second class protein. They are also known as vegetable protein. They  are high in fiber and also have Vitamin B complex, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Manganese essential for body growth such as to build , maintain and repair tissue in the body.



Baby long beans on 27th Oct 2018


Lovely long beans ready for harvesting

More long beans produced


Long beans harvested

Old ones for making pickles.
One day, a friend of mine visited my little garden. And she taught me the recipe of "Long Beans Pickles", She told me a story of how as a child, she never like to eat greens. So her mother created this pickles and before she knew it, she finished the whole lot on her
plate and even asked for more!
So I tried and tasted the recipe, Wow! It's tender, crunchy and has the tangy taste. Mmm... really delicious and act as an appetizer with rice. Some of my friends tasted them and they asked for the recipe. Thank you Margaret, for sharing such recipe with me.πŸ˜„


Long Beans Pickles

Ingredients  :
  • 6-8 Long beans
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar (depending on your taste)
  • 1 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice or vinegar(i prefer Lime juice because of the favor)
  • 1 garlic crushed and chopped
  • a few sliced of pepper or chilli (Optional)
Method     :
  1. Wash the long beans and cut into bite size. For children cut into 1/2 cm depending on age of child. Adult like me, I like the size as in the photo.
  2. Marinate with salt and leave for 1 hour. I like to keep them chilled
  3. After 1 hour. add sugar,lime juice, chopped garlic and chilli. Mix well.
  4. Continue to leave in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
  5. Served chilled with rice as an appetizer or side dish.

                Good Luck!!!!!!!

                   








6 comments:

  1. Hi I am Stefanie. My son also dont like greens. Very hard to make him eat greens. your blog and the recipe is very good. will make them and see if my son wants to eat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome stefanie and thank you for viewing. Hopefully your son will enjoy eating them like snacks

      Delete
  2. Ahhh... now I am in correct box.Ok.your long beans very healthy and abundant. Did you put fertiliser?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. Not yet. But my friends told that long beans are heavy feeders and sooner or later, i need to put organic fertiliser for them to grow properly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eaten long bean given by my ah yii,both my kid love it very much...is good for kid as it is organic and free from chemical fertilizer....thanks ah yii for the beanπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so happy to hear that your kids love it! You are welcome to come pluck any time

      Delete