Thursday 18 April 2019

Arctic and Antarctica : Sabah boy in North and South Pole within the year 2019


 

          Who would have thought of stepping into the Antarctica?
 My son did! 

One fine day, I was having my dinner when my son broke the news that he's going to  Antarctica to work on a short term basis. I nearly fell out of my chair. It took me a while to gather my thoughts and then congratulate him for being adventurous. I used to be very adventurous myself, but my son out beat me by going to the South Pole! It's a place not anyone can go as they like. It's not about not able to go to Antarctica, but mainly most people never get the opportunity of going there.
Antarctica is Earth 5th largest Southern continent, where temperature can go down below minus 90 degrees Celsius and 98% of the land is covered with ice. A place where the environment is too difficult to survive in. But it didn't stop my son from going to this godforsaken place. 

       So in November,2018, he headed for South Pole for the first time! He told me he had to fly from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur. Then changed flight to go to Auckland. From Auckland he flew to South America at Santiago. Then carried on to Punta Arenas. And lastly from Punta Arenas to Antarctica. He's flying and flying and flying! 
 He's been on the plane when I was in bed, woke up, had my breakfast, lunch, dinner and breakfast again the next morning! Still he's on his way to South Pole. The flying never seem to end and It must be the longest flight he had in his life! It really took him ages to arrive. I tracked him through flightradar24.  So I knew where he was.
 Upon reaching Antarctica, there's no more contact. Everyone there can only be contacted through emails. There is no such things as watsapp, wechat, SMS or whatsoever...Just email...It's quite worrying because we were concerned how's he getting on and bla bla bla. Then came the email saying he's okay and adapting well. Phew! It's a relief. I can go on doing my normal routine with peace in mind.


Nov 2018 - 1st trip to South Pole, Antarctica

South Pole -2019

South Pole - 2019

After his venture to South Pole, he also went to North pole at the same year for 3 months. 

The sight of  North Pole, The Arctic - year 2019

Photo of a polar bear in the wild captured from his camera.

  When he was a teenager, he told me, one of his wish was to see a polar bear walking freely without a cage. His dream fulfilled😂.

 My son with a Sabah Flag in North Pole😂

When he came home, he proudly announced he had been to North and South pole within the year of 2019! Wow! What an achievement!😂👍 


He gave me this gift from his trip to North pole. It's the lightest yet meaningful gift. 
He said the painter painted the picture in real time north pole. My son waited for the painter to complete the picture to bring it home.
I framed it up and it is now hanging on the wall of my home. I feel all fuzzy and warm when I look at it as it is a reflection of his love for his mother. He was miles away but he still thought of me. As his mother, I am proud and so happy for him as he gets to live his dream.😊



Returned to South Pole - Nov 2021

South Pole - Nov 2021 

These guys are so admirable. They are able to keep their spirits up and find joy despite the cold and harsh environment. Shows the great team work and camaraderie too, so important when working away from home and family.

This is their work / family!

Another team of working colleagues at the South Pole, the Antarctica.

Is this the only "route" directions ? 

I guessed it's safer for him to walk on the snow with the ski . 
To prevent sinking into the snow?😛

Camping grounds for staff and visitors

This was his camp. Look at the little Sabah flag outside his tent.😁😁😁.
Maybe all the tents look alike and he might be lost???😲😲😲


 Sun shinning brightly but it's freezing cold -25 degree Celsius and while here in Malaysia, it's so hot and humid at 34 degree Celsius.


 Is this Aurora Australis????? except it's white????😁😁😁


Camping grounds for expedition people, under the incredible blue sky, surrounded by snow with the beautiful view of the snow capped mountain.



This is how nights are in the Antarctica.
 It's different compare to other parts of the world where nights means complete darkness.


Look at that! High sunlight clouds drifted across the clear blue sky over the snow capped  mountains.....The scenery looks so peaceful and beautiful.


Look at the little Sabah flag sitting cutely next to the sign Vinson😂. 

Mount Vinson,4,892 metres / 16,050 feet high, is the highest mountain in the Antarctic. Nicholas Clinch, an American was the first to climb this mountain.
 I did some reading about Mount Vinson from Mr Google. Vinson Massif was officially named after Carl Vinson from America who served in Congress (1935-1961)

Look at my son walking in the snow😅 - What a beautiful sight.
Here in Malaysia, our country is filled with greens while there in Antarctica, it's filled with snow yet it's still looked so beautiful. 

In 2021, on the way to South pole , he was on transit at Reykjavik, Iceland. Many paid thousands to witness such beauty of the Northern lights but my son was able to witness it for free due to work related trip. Lucky boy! 😁 

This photo was not clear enough to see the Northern lights as the previous picture. 


 Year 2021 
 More workmates from Sabah joined the team, so bigger flag this time in Antarctica😁.

This year, 2023 he has been assigned to the Penguin Watch area. It is a dream assignment for him as he has only seen these lovely creatures on Animal Planet and has always yearned to see them in real life in their natural habitat. His dream has come true! He found the Emperor Penguins so amazing and they really strut around like little emperors. He shared the emotions he felt seeing these beautiful birds as something that is beyond words and which money cannot buy. He felt so fortunate and privileged to be able to experience the wonders of nature . 
Hahaha... that's a lot of co workers there to become friends with!😅

The 1st time I came to know about emperor penguins, was watching a cartoon movie called "Happy feet". The baby penguin was so cute that I added it into my face-book picture as my profile. haha...Seeing the photos taken by my son, the movie producer and the creator have really captured the antics and spirit of these penguins brilliantly.


I feel these 2 are going to start dancing any minute now.😁

Emperor penguins are the tallest and heaviest penguins among all kinds of penguins . Antartica is well known for their native home. They can grow to a height of 1-1.3meters tall.


A short video of the Emperor Penguins captured by my son during his time in Antarctica,

And look at these seals ! 

Living the good like. They looked so adorable, just lazing in the snow 😁

Seal with a kiss💓😁

   I didn't know that there was a tourist area until I saw this. Have a look at this link if you are interested for Emperor Penguin watch at the Antarctica and there are guidelines for visitors such as accommodation, meals and activities. 


Reference:

Antarctica



9 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your dear brave, adventorous son... Dreams comes true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth.😂 He really outbeats me for bravery,and adventurous😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats my friend for your son's achievement to land into this beautiful part of the world .He has inherit your bravery .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and good to hear from a friend like you telling me that he has bravery trait like me😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing …

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing aunty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your story. You son is very lucky to experience what most people could only dream 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. He's very.lucky to achieve what he dreamt for..🙏

      Delete