Wednesday 24 April 2019

Ice cream

 
It was 3 pm on the 24th April 2019.
 My husband and I went to Pavilion Bundusan ( only 30 mins drive from our home) to buy bread and milk from our favorite Supermarket. As we crossed the road, my husband exclaimed with excitement like a little boy🤭, "Oh my God, ice cream van!"


1988 Caprila Ice cream van, the One and Only in Sabah.

My husband said ice cream van in UK those days, always symbolize the beach for the children.  There are not as many ice cream van as there used to be now in the UK but they are, thankfully, still in business. Popular to children, adult and the elderly especially to those who can't walked far to the shops.
In the UK they park at areas that are convenient to those who are not close to shops and stores
But in Kota Kinabalu, Caprilla ice cream van occasionally parks around shops and  supermarket and still getting customers.

Sabah doesn't have 4 seasons so it's always hot and humid in the afternoon unless it's raining. 


I am sure many would have already written about this cute little old van in their blog but i still want to write about it. Mainly because ice cream van brings happy memories and still gives pleasure to many people all over the world. 

Supermarket is just in front but people still buying ice cream from this van.
It's a hot day, therefore an ice cream is ideal.
   
     What is your choice ?  Chocolate or vanilla? 
  

  Twin (Chocolate and vanilla) , cup for me please.......

                            Mr and Mrs Lee told me the van has been serving the Caprilla ice cream faithfully for 31 years now (since 1988) and it's the only ice cream van in Sabah
I forgot to asked what's the van brand.

In 1982, I once bought a second hand 1966 first generation Toyota corolla car and called it "my old Betsy". It had a big steering wheel, a long gear handle and body of car was solid unlike nowadays car. When old Betsy was on the road during downpour of rain and floods, she managed to bring me home safely compared to a few cars which I passed by including a posh BMW, trapped in the middle of the road.
                         Another incidence was when I drove my old Betsy up the hills to Kinabalu National Park, I had a couple of whistles from drivers and passengers  who overtook  me during the drive. I was young that time😜😜. Old cars, just like in Cuba, are much treasured and are legends here in Sabah😂
My Rm3 ice cream 😁

Bringing my husband back to the year when he was 13 years old  at Red Hall Road, Longstone area, Edinburgh, where he could hear the ice cream van just outside his aunt's home. Sweet memories!
Slurp! Slurp! Slurp! Mmmmm..
Before you knew it, it's gone!

Happy memories of sandwich ice cream at Orchard Road,Singapore

                 One of my teenager grandson's travelling itinerary in Singapore was to treat himself with 2 ice cream ( Vanilla and Chocolate) from his own pocket money. The first time when he ate this ice cream from the same stall at Orchard Road was when he's 6 years old. The vendor's ice cream motorbike reminds me of the war movie where the Germans rode on the bike with sidecars. 😂😂 Historical memories!

               Before i end my chapter, let me share with you a simple homemade ice cream which a friend once shared with me in 1990. Nothing fancy, just plain homemade ice cream but it's an ice cream made out of love to share with families and friends. If there are children in the house, it will make them very happy and they will remember how you made the ice cream when they grow up. It's amusing to watch children waiting impatiently just to see if the ice cream is ready or not .😂

Home Made Lemon Ice Cream

A friend shared with me a homemade lemon ice cream. I forgot from which book she took the recipe from but it was so delicious. It can be made easily without an ice cream maker.

Ingredients :
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk ( I use evaporated milk as it's creamier)
7/8 cup sugar (add more or less, to taste)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt

Method:
1. mix sugar, salt, lemon juice and lemon zest  in a bowl.
2. In another bowl,  combine heavy cream and milk together, then slowly add in the lemon mixture.
3. Keep whisking for at least 2 mins or until mixture is smooth and sugar has completely dissolved.
4. Pour into a 9'' x 5' disposable aluminum tray and cover with aluminum foil.
5. Freeze for 2-3 hrs until it is firm around the edges but still soft in the middle.
6. Give a good stir, cover the tray again and return it to the freezer for another hour.

7. Once the entire mixture is firm, it's ready!

Ice cream can be served plain like this corn ice cream 

Or a fancier ice cream beautifully decorated with colourful marshmallow, waffle biscuits and drizzled with passion fruits. 😋
It's delicious! mmmm...😂


Lately I found another one in utube which is much easier. Have a look and comment😊




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It does isnt it Beth.Thanks for the comment

      Delete
    2. Looks easy to make ice cream. Very tempting

      Delete
  2. It is,Beth. Give it a go, a good evaporated milk is 3.95 ringgit can made into 2 ice cream containes plus you can control the sweetness according to your taste buds

    ReplyDelete
  3. One friend asked if its soft like the ice cream van seller. I can say its sure is soft and the taste is better partly because it's homemade out of love and friendship😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another friend also said it looks easy and doesnt seem to need a lot of stuff to make the ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...nice article😃😃 & nice ice cream😛😙😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashok. can try the ice cream recipe and let me know😜😊

      Delete