Tuesday 24 August 2021

Transforming Waste Land into a Beautiful Garden

This is how the story of the beginning of a garden from nothing- transforming a waste land to a beautiful little garden.

March 2018, I had retired from my profession. The first 3 months were heaven, no alarm clock to wake me up to go to work. No hassle or stress of thinking if I have completed the task before going home, yesterday or last night and many more.  I was enjoying myself being in the "nothing box" doing just that, nothing.

 But as months gone by, I was beginning to get bored. Then one day, as I was visiting my friend's garden, I was amazed how she kept her plants so beautiful and healthy.

 I was inspired by her garden to start one, myself๐Ÿ˜

I started with a simple DIY draft of my little tiny 14 feet garden home for my builder to start the project. 


 27th July 2018

Project began...This tiny home is just a resting place after gardening


28th Aug 2018

A small pantry for cup of tea before, during, or after gardening

A settee cum bed for rest or a nap when needed

Fancy wash room for call of nature and a good shower after all the sweat from gardening


14th Sept 2018

My little 14feet garden home was completed and my next project, was to create a little garden.


Backyard - Before 

Backyard - After


Back Yard - After

Back Yard- Before

Back Yard - After

Front yard- Before

Front Yard -After

Front yard - before

Front yard after many weeks and months of hard work

Now front garden complete

Pathway from main road to my garden house- Before

Pathway from main road to my garden house - After

Entrance to my garden home

I began planting some trees to give a degree of shade to my land and act as a barrier at the side of the pathway to the main road.  Trees also bring birds back to the environment because it's their basic needs for food, shelter and nesting. Birds are also great pollinators for trees which help in fertilization and promotes development and evolution of trees.

Moringa tree - the tree of life. This was a gift from a friend ( Ms Wong ❤️) who grew it in a pot but I transferred it into the ground,

Curry leaves tree

Banana tree - Another gift from a friend, Sharifah๐Ÿ˜˜

Papaya tree

Red Custard Apple tree


I have healthy passion fruit plant that climb all over my 100 meters chain linked fence. 


I also tried planting vegetables such as Ladies fingers,

Brazilian Spinach

Flower Kai Lan,- given by a friend Ms Wong๐ŸŒน


Emperor Winter melons, - the biggest I harvested was 5.5kg! 

White Brinjals,


I grew a few flowers to add some colors to my garden, though I am not a flower lover.

such as the Latanas - again was given by Sharifah my friend ๐Ÿ˜˜❤️

Portulaca or 9 o'clock flowers - given by my friend Jennifer ๐Ÿ˜˜

 White pea flowers

Blue pea flowers - given by my friend, Alice ๐ŸŒน

Marigold  are excellent plants to grow in the garden. The colorful yellowish orange of the petals attract butterflies, bees and lady bugs which are great pollinators for plants. Marigold also keep certain pests and predators from garden plants. 

Bush Clock Vine - This beautiful unique plant was also given by my friend Sharifah ๐Ÿ˜˜

Wild gooseberry plants - given by my neighbour, Norin.๐ŸŒน She brought this plant all the way from Kota Belud๐Ÿ˜

Yellow Dragon Fruit which I brought all the way from Singapore! ๐Ÿคญ

 Aloe Vera

I also planted some herbs such as...

Fragrant Ginger from Tambunan. This plant was gifted to me from a friend, Jennifer๐Ÿ˜˜.

Tumeric 

Big Chili - I don't fancy chili as I can't tolerate spicy food, but I still like to grow them because red chilies look pretty hanging on the pot in the garden

Small chili also known as "chili padi" is very spicy

Siamese Queen / Thai Sweet Basil

Oregano is the herb of choice, to marinate beef or lamb. The strong, earthy smell of oregano removes or minimize strong, stinky smell of meat especially Lamb.

Coconut Bonsai- These coconuts have been with me for 2 yrs now. I still have not found any suitable pot to beautify the bonsai before placing them in the house as ornaments 

 Indoor, I had some Snake Plants variety which help to purify the air inside my garden house.

Indoor -Short snake plant variety

I was amazed what my little garden can produce. I am not growing for mass production, As long as the plants show some results, that's good enough for me.๐Ÿ˜€

 As most of the front of my home is cemented, it's ideal for my little grandson to play in his pool barefooted๐Ÿ˜‚

April, 2021

My friend's (Jennifer) daughter, Venessa๐Ÿ˜˜. Bonnie little girl๐Ÿ’“ .
 Her daughter couldn't resist the pool and jumped into it at 12 noon where the sun is the hottest.  She was using my gardening hat which looked like a Mexican hat to her.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคญ

To end this chapter, it's time to take a break. Night falls and with clear sky , it's time to sit down , breathe the cool night air, doing star gazing and moon watching. Some times when the moon was so bright,  clear thin clouds can be seen floating in the sky,  bringing magic to the night, whispering ...Good Night!๐Ÿ˜ด......Tomorrow is another day๐Ÿ˜Ž

My self made bench, in the front garden๐Ÿ˜Š
This bench is ideal for family photo taking in the day or spending a romantic night together with your love ones❤️
Those who have not read the blog yet of how I made it, you may click Here.๐Ÿ‘Œ 



Visited blogs:





16 comments:

  1. You have transformed that piece of land to a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your compliment. ๐Ÿ™ It took time though to transform it. Almost 3 yrs to do it๐Ÿ˜…. But at the end of the day, it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice garden. You have different types of plants. Very creative and innovative. You have green fingers,Borneo lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ashok๐Ÿ˜Š. I planted them because I was curious how they turn out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..... Very inspiring. Beautiful home. I like your article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading๐Ÿ˜Š. Your comment pleases me.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank You Nizamdanial for reading and your kind comment.

      Delete
  7. Very inspiring....beautiful garden..love it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TQ for reading my blog. Yes it is a beautiful garden. I love it too especially at night when it's not raining to sit outside and do star gazing while smelling the freshness of the plants.

      Delete
  8. Very inspiring and creative..I have similar interest like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TQ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜Š. Good to know we have similar interest. Would be good to be able to share more ideas and opinions ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Green life you have after retiring.God bless your days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TQ for reading, ๐Ÿ˜Š. When we ve got all the time in the world, its time to find something meaningful to our fill our daily life๐Ÿ˜Š And I happen to find a good one.ie gardening. Its good for the body and mind๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  10. Lovely gardens and plenty of flowers planted after retirement. The flowers that are planted are also very appealing and there are also a lot of fruits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DD for your kind compliments. It's good to have a mixture of everything ๐Ÿ˜Š. That will add spices to life๐Ÿ˜

      Delete