Wednesday 13 January 2021

My Garden Bench

A garden bench can make a big difference to our surroundings.

It is something that we can sit comfortably on, at the same time we can relax on it, then we are able to enjoy the beauty of the surroundings.

At night when it’s not raining, sitting outdoors, feeling the cool atmosphere and enjoying the moon and stars in privacy. Having a garden bench in your own garden, makes us feel safe compared to sitting in public, especially now with Covid-19 still on going.


Picture of a Garden bench on display at our local superstore with a price of Rm400 each.

Wooden bench for customers who need a break while shopping at our local shopping Mall .

After seeing these benches, I began to look into google for ideas and inspiration, to see if any Website will attract my eyes. There were so many styles and ideas, but I was attracted to Ana White website "Over the big moon". It's simple, beautiful and looks easy to make.  

I decided to use Shorea wood also known as tropical hardwood which has many trade names.  Our locals called it "Seraya".  Not only is it cheap but it's easy to find too, because these timbers come from our Borneo rainforest.๐Ÿ˜Š Shorea wood is similar to Teak wood. Just a matter of interest. Shorea trees can grow up to 300 feet in height!๐Ÿ˜…

Shorea is well known for it's durability and resistant to damage from insects, fungus, and moisture decay. That's why this type of wood is ideal for outdoor furnitures.

I have linked here her website on her plan, so anyone interested can click on it and check it out. I can reassure my friends that it's really easy to make one. I have tried, so I can comment๐Ÿ˜œ. Just follow her plans and instructions. Not only me, many have tried and commented also that it's good. I even painted my bench the colour ( as near as ) she used, since I can't find her colour of "Sparrow by Behr", I just chose any sky blue colour.

So on 14th December 2020, I started to go to a wood warehouse to get some timber for the project๐Ÿ˜‚

I bought the necessary wood for about Rm150 and extra Rm3 for labour charge for them to cut the wood accordingly to the measurements I gave.

I took my time and did it slowly. No rush for me. haha...

 



As instructed, i predrilled holes on all the wood pieces before attaching with screws
 
Assembling the wood starting with the seats first

The legs, arms and bottom legs as per instructions.


Bit by bit, stage by stage until the whole bench was completed, now ready for painting.

My grandson helped to smoothen the edges of the seat before painting, making it more comfortable to sit on. Sharp ends of wood can be catching and cause cuts to our skin.

7.1.2021
Completed 1st coating of paint. 



10.1.2021
2nd coating of paint completed and letting it dry under the sun.

11.1.2021
DIY Bench ready for use in the garden!

It's not perfect but comfortable and secure enough to sit outdoors, especially at night when we can watch the moon and stars. 

I did some modifications. The wood size I used were smaller 1" x 2" wood instead of a 2" x 4".  As for the planks instead of using 6 inches I used 4 inches.

The advantage of making your own is that you can customise it, according to the size you like and finish it with any favourite colour you want.๐Ÿ˜‚

The outcome is very rewarding and satisfying. I am over the moon for my achievement!๐Ÿ˜

The good thing about creating and making things in our daily life is, we feel proud to have achieved something we had personally made. This feelings are very healthy for our mind and body.  ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ana White has been using her garden bench for about 8 years and still using it now. I will see how long my garden bench lasts.


It's also an ideal place for a family photo taking ๐Ÿ˜‚!
Everyone in the family loves squeezing into it, to get a share of the seat including my children, children in law and grandchildren๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…


The garden bench won't be complete without an outdoor coffee table!
I used unwanted cracked seat plastic stool and a cracked mouldy condemned chopping board๐Ÿ˜‚
Using "no nail glue", the board is stuck to the chair seat permanently.
Then I painted the chopping board with the left over paint from the garden bench.
A very observant friend of mine, noticed there were still a little bit of paint left in the tin so she suggested to paint the legs of the chair as well. My husband thinks ,putting all same colors will lose it's jazzy looks. Both opinions were good. So I .......๐Ÿ˜


painted the legs of the chair with the remaining paint๐Ÿ˜„

But turning on the other side is maintaining the point of view of my husband . ๐Ÿ˜
Win Win Opinions ๐Ÿ˜‚

Now I have a coffee table for free!๐Ÿ˜Š

Photo during a rainy day
The Bench has been a popular photo taking site for family members and friends. 
Surrounded by nature, giving the opportunity for vibrant photos๐Ÿ˜‚


Daughter's in-laws 
updated photos of my garden bench- April 2021

Too serious this posing lah!๐Ÿ˜ต, Come on! Let's have some fun!
Creative writing group since 2013 - only 4 of us are in constant contact till now๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช.
updated photos of my garden bench- April 2021


That's better! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚

References:

DIY garden bench-Ana White

Shorea 

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea to recycle materials for the cute little coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TQ CF for supporting recycle ideas. Recycling is important. If every one plays a Part, it will help greatly to tackle climate change. ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  2. wow looks like an expert job finishing the garden bench...nice to sit for relaxing...
    tq for sharing๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will love it too once you sit on it. hehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great carpentry work. I never know you can do good carpentry. You are very creative!๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashok for your compliment. Actually I followed Ana White's website and her plan. Very easy to follow. And tetap jadi punya๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  5. Wow .. your are so talented

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading my story, Koi๐Ÿ˜Š.

    ReplyDelete