Wednesday 26 August 2020

Sweet potato leaves and a recipe

This is a short story of how I started my 1st plant (Sweet Potato leaves) on 31st floor of my accommodation in Singapore. 

Sometime toward the end of January 2020, I returned to Singapore to re-join as one of the team members in a company where I worked to ease shortage of staff.

Not long after I joined the team, Covid 19 became a pandemic in Singapore and Circuit Breaker (others called it a Lock Down) were reinforced in April, so, none of us could fly out of any country freely. Because of that, many were informed to stay home while all non-essential workers were advised to work from home. Many non-essential shops, cinema, sport complex, school etc were closed. Only those categorized as essential were opened.

Many of us couldn’t get used to the new rules to prevent spread. I tried my best to start a hobby to keep myself occupied when I was not a work. I missed my garden and the greens back in home town, Sabah. One day, a friend told me how she tried to plant the sweet potatoes but unfortunately, they were not successful and died.😭 



Friend's project that didn't work

The potatoes rotted and she didn’t have a chance to see any leave sprout.😥 I thought maybe I should also try to grow one myself to kill boredom. Such thoughts motivated me to plant something in a Singapore high rising floor. If you had read  my story on how I started my garden, I had mentioned sweet potato as the 1st plant that motivated me into gardening.

Sweet potatoes leaves belong to the Morning-Glory family. The leaves vary from medium to large and are heart or maple like leaves shaped. The difference between sweet potato and potato leave is that the all sweet potato leaves are edible while potato leaves are toxic.

Sweet potato leave grow on a herbaceous perennial vine (mean they are climbing plants).

7.6.2020 - I began my project by using Japanese sweet potato to initiate “slips”. True enough, they didn’t work and the base rotted.


19.6.2020 -   I tried again for the 2nd time but this time using - Honey Indonesian sweet potato.


 20.6. 2020 - The next day, little shoot sprout. - 😂😂💪..wow! I was so excited. My husband commented it looked something like Star Wars robot. Yes, its BB-8 the most loved star wars character. 😁😁

 

22.6.2020 - Two days later, more leaves appeared like little trees

24.6.2020 - Five days later, this is how they looked. 



27.6.2020 - The slips are matured enough to be detached from the potatoes. They were left in a little container or glass of water. 


4.7.2020
After 2-3 weeks, the roots appeared. 


4.7.2020 - They are ready to be transferred into a pot of soil.

            
5.7.2020 - Day 2 after transplant

5.7.2020 - Day 2 after transplanting.

How to find out that the newly transplanted plants are adjusting in the soil? Take a look at the leaves. If the plants stood upright, with the leaves looking greener and shinier, it means the plant was doing well in the soil.

 9.7.2020 – Leaves have grown bigger and wider


6.7.2020

17.7.2020

21.7.2020

27.7.2020 - Pinch off the tip, to encourage more leaves to appear


29th July 2020


31st July 2020 - more side leaves appeared 

1st August 2020

7th August 2020



10.8.2020

Stir fry sweet potato leave with garlic



1 small bowl of freshly plucked leaves from the gardening pot... Washed and drained



2 pip garlic smashed and minced



1 tabsp cooking oil



Saute the garlic till slight brown and fragnant




Add the leaves and stir-fry for 1 min in medium heat




Add seasoning- salt pepper & soy sauce(according to your taste) and stir fry another min.



Serve hot with steam rice
Mmm… it’s delicious. Taste better than the Kangkong.

11.8.2020- one day after the leaves were harvested for a dish.

Having a pot of sweet potato plant in our home does not only promote mental health for my mind but also as nutritional health benefits whereby consuming these leaves are proven by researcher to be nutritious to our body. 
Because the leaves contain polyphenol which are important antioxidant that helps to reduce risk of chronic diseases.


References:

https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Sweet_Potato_Leaves_11487.php

Benefits of sweet potato leaves

Edible Sweet Potato leaves

Nutritional values of sweet potato leaves

Benefits of consuming sweet potato leaves


No comments:

Post a Comment