Friday 24 June 2022

Ladies Fingers, curry leaves, brinjals and a recipe

Ladies fingers also known as Okra is a vegetable.
Ladies fingers is one of the easiest plants to grow in any garden like mine, they love the sun. The hotter the weather the happier the ladies fingers are. I first started them in pots. They produced beautiful yellow flowers which will wither and then become ladies fingers๐Ÿ˜‚. Later I started to grow them straight into the ground. After germination which might take about 1 week, they were ready to harvest in 2 months time. 

There are health benefits in Ladies fingers. You can read about it by clicking here
Whenever there is an advantage, there is also a disadvantage. Click here to find out the risk and precautions when taking too much of the ladies fingers. Whatever it is, it is always wiser
 to take everything in moderation. Too much of anything is never good for our body no matter what benefits they have.



Beginning of my ladies fingers plants from seeds

My 1st experience with Ladies fingers in pots


Flower buds appearing and I was so excited because it's my 1st experience ๐Ÿ˜€

 
The 1st flower bloomed and I was so happy to see it ๐Ÿ˜

At last the 1st ladies fingers matured and ready for harvesting๐Ÿ˜ƒ
My 1st Ladies fingers harvested together with the brinjals.

14.7.2020
 This one grew wildly on it's own without care during the Covid 19 period.
 The seeds must have dropped from the mother plant and it grew on its own.
On the 9th Dec 2020, my son brought a fish head for me. 
At that moment , French beans, brinjal, curry leaves and ladies fingers were available in my garden.
So I decided to try a simple fish head curry for the 1st time. 
Surprisingly it smelt so good because of the Baba curry powder. 

My whole kitchen smelt so good with the curry cooking that the aromatic smell travels to the sitting area where my husband was watching his TV programme. 
Even he, who's never keen on fish curry couldn't resist the recipe๐Ÿ˜‚ After my 1st attempt, I realised it's not difficult to cook fish head curry.๐Ÿ˜… I hope to share this blog as to how I cooked my fish head curry for the first time and it was so delicious that I cannot believe I had cooked one!๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹



Ingredients prepared:
2 Ladies fingers
1 Brinjals
6 French Beans
1 Tomato (Only the tomato was not from my garden๐Ÿ˜‚)

1 Bombay onion - chopped
2 garlic - minced
A handful of fresh curry leaves from my garden

Tamarind soaked in a bowl of water

2 tablespoon Baba curry powder 
Fresh fish head

How I cooked the dish:

Heat 2 tablespoon cooking oil on moderate heat.
Saute the onion and garlic till slightly brown

Add in curry powder and fry for 1 min

Add curry leaves and fry for a few seconds

Add the fish head
Stir fry for a min or two

Add the tamarind water and reduce the heat.

Add 500ml water

When the fish is cooked, add in the vegetables, still on reduced heat.

Then add seasoning.
 Beside salt, I like to add a teaspoon of sugar which is optional.
 For those who don't like sugar in their food, can omit.

 I add in some fish slices just for my husband.
My husband was not keen on fish head curry, but with fish slices, he obliged to try and surprisingly love it.๐Ÿ˜‚
 

 Fish head curry with rice on a banana leave(also from my garden) for lunch๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‚



Reference

4 comments: