Sunday 8 December 2019

What is Kale?



Years ago, we hardly heard of a vegetable called Kale in the market. More common vegetable are the sayur manis, Pak Choi, Choi Sam, Spinach, Kangkong etc but not Kale. 
Now, it's getting popular. Even at the Tamu ( Traditional Open air market in Sabah ), I could hear someone said, "Look! It's Kale!"
So, What is Kale?
Kale is a cruciferous vegetable , a member of the cabbage family.
There are many kinds of Kale. Some green and some purple. Some smooth and some curly.
I have a "Dinosaur Kale" also known as Lacinato Kale ( Italian) or  Cavolo Nero Kale or Tuscan kale. So many flowery name indeed but in scientific name it's only Brassica Oleracea.

This is Baby Dinosaur Kale. I bought it for a price of Rm8 from the Kolombong
 open market which only opens every Saturday.
It was a small plant of about 6 inches tall with 4 leaves. I planted it on a raised bed under the shade of my blue pea flower plants.

Within 1 month, the plant grew bigger with more leaves. I tried with 7 leaves first to do the stir-fried recipe and gave my comment at the end of this topic, so read on...😅

Stir-fried Kale : Ingredients needed.....

 7 leaves of kale


2 pip of garlic + 1/2 Bombay onion (chopped)


2 tablespoon cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon light soya sauce,
1 teaspoon oyster sauce or scallop sauce.

Method:
After washing and draining the leaves , remove the midrib of all the leaves. Some use the midrib to make stock but I just throw them into my garden as compost.

Cut the leaves into small pieces as shown

Heat the oil in the pan on medium heat.

Saute garlic till slightly brown

Add Onions and fry for about a min

Add Kale

Add all the seasonings ( salt, oyster sauce, light soy sauce) and stir fry until the vegetable turns a
darker green.
Serve hot with steam rice

Okay, now for the comment for this dish.
It tastes like Kai Lan ( cabbage leave), a bit tough ( Guess i need to squeeze the vegetable during draining as shown in U tube to make the veges softer). 
Seasoning is just right but somehow, I don't seem to have a liking for this Vegetable. But my husband likes it! Partly because I don't fancy Kai Lan or Brussels Sprouts . If given a choice, I wouldn't have it as my choice of vegetable 😅😅😅.
Anyone have a better way of preparing this dish? Please do share it with me. Some suggest to add in rice wine, Some suggested to make as salad....hmmmm...but no thanks, not for me.😂
Even though Kale is good for healthy skin, hair and bones but i would give it a miss and go for other choices of vegetables that I like, such as choy sum😂.
For your information, Kale is extremely nutritious with lots of Vitamin A and K.

15th May 2020





No comments:

Post a Comment