Saturday 4 May 2019

Starting my garden home from nothing - if you don't try, you will never know what you are capable of.

It's never too old to learn


Year 2010

               In 2007, I bought a small piece of land and wanted to start a project to build a small garden house  by 2008.The project was delayed due to some issues with neighbour refusing to relocate his fence that encrouched the right of way on government land.
             In 2016, the pathway has widened, the land was cleared and my little dream house was completed by Sept 2018.

Compared to 2010, this picture taken in Sept 2018, what a huge difference

         After looking back of what I have gone through, it was no easy peasy job, but at the end of the day, I was able to share my experience in making one of my dreams come true. This was through perseverance and hard work. When a situation becomes difficult, it's challenging and through that, we tend to stay focused on what we need to do.
         The day when I decided to start my project, I was excited but apprehensive at the same time. Being a woman who has No knowledge or experience as builders or a gardener, it was indeed very hard. But as i got into the gist of it, it got easier.

            When the small plot of land(only 5 mins from airport and near my parents' home) was bought, I thought, "Am I doing the right thing?" Endless questions roamed in my head, such as ... should I, will I, what if, bla bla bla. No one including my husband, children, and friends would ever think it's possible to build a little garden house there....Everyone thinks it's too small, a waste of money, not ideal with a big monsoon drain next to it and the biggest negative was, the right of way being blocked by neighbour,  not allowing me to widen the road on government land. His  fence had taken up 3/4 of the space on my right of way  leaving me with only a small space, just enough for a sang kancil car to drive through. There was a time when I almost gave up, after a long battle with no signs of progress. But with good advice and encouragement from a good friend, I persevered. 

Issue with neighbor. 
Refused to negotiate by relocating his fence  from my right of way to my land.

           It was May 2016, a Friday, my limit of perseverance reached a peak point (8 years). I said to myself I will give one last try and then that's it, no more. I was not a strong believer but somehow, I stopped by a chapel to pray to Our Good Lord to guide me the way, on what I should do. Yes. I was that desperate and frustrated.😣😣😣
After 8 years of frustration, the neighbour was spoken to by Ms Luvita, who was the newly appointed district officer at that time, to relocate his fence at least 2 feet away for my right of way. At least a 10 ton lorry with those building materials could pass through and a tractor to clear the little "Jungle" , probably full of snakes, rats, and others reptiles.

2014- A small path just enough for a Sang Kancil car to drive through.


Year 2016, two days before my father passed away,  A wider pathway was done.


Pathway to my land


The land was cleared and my project for the little house began.
  
13th July, A plan was drafted

27th July,2018- 14 feet x 14 feet tiny house 

28th August 2018 -  Almost complete
completed-14th Sept 2018

My fancy little bath-room

At last, my little dream house!
28th August 2018

        In March 2018, I had retired from my profession after 42 years. The first 3 months were heaven for me.  No alarm clock to wake me up for work. No hassle or stress of going back to work to complete a taskwas enjoying myself being in the "nothing box" doing just nothing. But as months gone by, I was beginning to feel bored and getting restless doing nothing. I had thoughts of going back to work as part time or whatever. 

             One day, I was visiting my friend's garden. I admired her amazing garden, full of  greens and flowers . I am no "green fingers" myself, so I never thought of gardening as a hobby. But  she told me that I don't need green fingers to grow anything. What I need is good soil and learn the " know-how" about watering plants etc. She encouraged me to try one simple plant, just to get me motivated. I chose sweet potatoes, the simplest. Just put one potato on top of a cup of water, leave by the window sill, and see what happens next. I was excited when i saw new leaves sprouting from the potato. It gave me the reason to wake up automatically in the morning to say hello to my "babies" by the window sill. 

             Later, I went to search from "Mr Google" to know more about transferring little "baby plants" into pots to grow further. My interest for gardening grew and before I knew it, I had started a garden in my little home. ( you can read more on my story of long beans and many more to write soon). Then I moved to the next level by planting seeds, in little trays and when they reached a foot tall, I transplanted them to pots or ground in my little garden.
           My husband helped me to water some of the "baby plants" every morning when I was away visiting my relative overseas. He sent updates of those "babies " showing how they progressed. He don't mind because these "babies" are not noisy and only feed once a day with water.😂😂😂😂

              Now my home is completed and my next project is to create my little garden around it. My garden home is also known  as the "Sulap" (that's how the locals here call it ) means a little hut  for resting after gardening.  In my 200 Sq feet home, I have just about everything I need.  
         I recycled water bottles to make flower pots . Recycled plastic bottles had become popular, especially when people began to understand how they can save cost and are eco friendly.

            I love to spend time in my little garden. My tiny home is like a secret space pod where I can relax, rest and dream of the possibilities. This is where I let my creative mind wander and have new ideas making life more meaningful everyday.

          When I was a young girl, I love to dream and imagine beautiful things in my head even though they are impossible most of the time.😅😅😅 

         Some believe that to be innovative, we need "to go forward bravely", a quote from Joan of Arc. Another inspirational quote which is commonly used is " if you never try, you will never know what you are capable of ". In my experience, to be innovative. I just need a little imagination and positively think everything will turn out well ,even though it may or may not come true.😛

          When my little dream house was completed, I was so proud of it and the effort made.

     It is a garden that I can look at, and admire every morning while having more ideas at the same time.

Sunrise at 5.45am on 12. 5.2023.
Beautiful Photo taken by a friend from Singapore, Christy Koi who visited and stayed at my garden home for the 1st time. 

        The land that I once thought was "rubbish",  have now turned into a "garden of Eden" which I am very happy with. The only regret was my father and mother were not around to share it with me. I believe they would have love to visit every evening for a cup of coffee or tea while admiring the nature's  beauty and feel proud what their daughter had done.
 I thank our Good Lord for giving me good friends and family for their support in helping me to persevere especially for the moments when I almost gave up. Also a big thank you to Ms Luvita for helping to sort out my right of way to my land. 
At last my dream came true, A little country/village home.😘


Read on to find out more what I will do next and where I want to go.....




12 comments:

  1. Wow!congratulations for all your perseverance to make your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you😅.You are very creative, hardworking, perseverance. I love your writings. You should write books my dear😃. I hope you will publish a book one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashok. Yes I will compile all my chapters here and put them into a book. Yesterday another friend said the same thing.😊

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading your story.
    Easy to read and good contents
    congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Your comments pleases me and motivated me to share some more nice stories

      Delete
  4. Your perseverance in doing something pays off.Congrats to you and keep up with the good work.it inspires me to do likewise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks and i am happy to hear that this topic inspire you😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely touching story. The things you have achieved with your tenacity is amazing and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend. I am very happy to know that you like my true story and getting inspired🙏😊

      Delete
  7. Awesome ….. beautiful garden

    ReplyDelete